Thursday, February 12, 2009

Trigonometric Ratios



If you ever come across a question like this, don't worry about the technology! It could make things much more complicated than necessary, unless you're good at changing about a million decimal places into whole pi units. ;) Refer to your unit circle, it will present things in a much neater manner.

See, this right here is what I'm talking about. 30 degrees is equal to .5235987756 OR pi over six.


How do they relate? Well, they're equal to the same thing, 1/2.



If you are wondering why we stopped at just these four numbers, recall that we had a statement before saying... Zero is less than/equal to thata which is less than or equal to two pi. (Sorry I have to put it into words, I couldn't find how to use symbols on here!).


This has the same idea as the above example, remember to stay within the limits of the equation given.



I'm going to be completely honest with you guys, this slide didn't make much sense to me. I don't understand what on the graphmatica graph applies to what/which things he wrote. If anyone else understands, it would be great if you left a comment explaining it for us (or me at least)!


This slide basically explains that if a function is inverse, it will like like a "mirror image," persay on the vertical line y=x. It's a great test to see if the answer you came up with is correct.




The range is restricted to only quadrants one and four because of the equation we must follow (-90 degrees is less than/equal to "y" which is less than or equal to +90 degrees).

At this point, I'd say it's almost vital to have your unit circle close to memorized, or at least to be able to visualize it when doing problems such as these. The link posted below leads you to a site in which you can slowly learn/memorize the circle. It kind of works by process of elimination. You can even quiz yourself afterwords. I hope it helps you!

Remember the Unit Circle

Here is one small tid bit of information for you... Many of you may of heard my excitement in class about the "pretty calculator"; I really am quite excited for it. I tried a few functions with it too, and it runs fairly smoothly! Hope it's of use to you.

The "Pretty" Graphing Calculator

Enjoy watching basketball tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment